Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 4

Well day 4 of my online blogging class and when I read about today's prompt I really wasn't too excited. But then as I was catching up on my classmates blogs I read something that jumped out at me. On "This is the Thing" by Mealiea she had listed 5 of her favorite quotes and this one really struck a nerve inside me: To love a person is to learn the song that is in their hearts and to sing it to them when they have forgotten.

It made me think of my Dad who is terminally ill and each time the phone rings I hold my breath for a second and hope that it is not my sister calling with bad news. My dad was a quiet man, keenly intelligent, proud and honorable, hard working, and my very best ally throughout my whole life. There is nothing he would not do for me or for my mother or for any of my siblings. These days he rarely speaks and he sometimes forgets who we are and sometimes he is even angry and yells at us. I know this isn't my dad. He has just forgotten the song in his heart and it is my job to sing it to him.
Thank you Mealiea for helping me remember.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Mary Ellen. I am glad I was able to help in some small way. It sounds like you are approaching this difficult time with peace in your heart. That should help you when you do get that call you are dreading.

helena said...

thank you for sharing such a touching thought.

Unknown said...

You made me cry. That was beautiful. Praying for your dad.

Jimjams said...

Fab quote - thinking of you ♥

Jen said...

That is such a moving post. Thinking of you Hugs J x

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a touching post. Thanks for stopping by my blog - it's what led me to you here.
Hugs,
Rinda (from BFS)

furrypig said...

that is a beautiful post thank you xxx